ModMic is the perfect solution for DXing and contesting. Attach it you your favourite noise cancelling headphones and you have the perfect ham radio headset with a high quality communications microphone. Its characteristics makes it pick up more of you and less of the room by attenuating the background noise from amplifier fans, street noise, other operators etc.
The ModMic works with any radio supporting an electret microphone by supplying a bias voltage on the microphone connector. It connects directly to the SunSDR2 PRO, SunSDR2 QRP and MB1. It also connects directly to the Elecraft K3 and other transceivers with a 3.5 mm stereo tele jack. And it work with most other popular transceivers using one of several available adapters, pick one for your transceiver here before checking out your ModMic order.
See this application note describing how to set your EQ for the SunSDR2 PRO, SunSDR2 QRP and MB1 transceivers to get that crisp and punch when busting pileups.
- One ModMic
- Two base clasps, one top clasp with cap
- One extra 3M pad for re-attachment of base clasp.
- One foam pop filter
- Alcohol wipe
- 5 cable clips (not in picture)
- Carrying case
- Jack: 3.5mm plated TRS for use with SunSDR2, SunSDR MB1 and PCs. Also workes with Elecraft K3 and other radios.
- Cable: 3.3 meters length, 2.5 mm diameter, coaxial shielding.
- Boom: 175mm max length, very bendable with internal steel spine.
- Clasp: 12.7mm (0.5 inch) diameter circle adhesive pad footprint, ~17.5mm total height of attached clasp assembly.
ModMic Microphone capsule specs
- Pattern: Uni-directional
- Sensitivity: -38 ± 3 dB
- Response: 100 Hz–10 kHz
- SNR: >50+ dB
- Impedance: 2.2 KΩ
- Operating Voltage: 1 to 10V
- Max current at 2.0V: 500 µA
- Max input SPL: 110 dB
Tip: Want to make your own adapter? Follow this link to G4WPW’s collection of microphone connections for most radios on the market.